Recent Biohazard Posts

Lead Based Paint in Your Home

4/23/2018 (Permalink)

Before the Federal Government banned it in 1978, lead based paint was used in more than 38 million homes for its durability. Lead is a highly toxic metal that can cause health issues especially to your children. If your house was built before 1978, the chances of your paint having lead are extremely high. Deteriorating lead-based paint (peeling, chipping, chalking, cracking, damaged, or damp) is a hazard and needs immediate attention.

Lead is more harmful to children than to adults since it can disrupt with their growth, developing nerves, and brains. Some complications that children can experience is hearing problems, kidney damage, slow body growth, and behavioral problems. As far as symptom associated with lead poisoning, your child can develop headaches, Anemia, abdominal pain, cramping, loss of energy, etc. Very high levels of lead may cause vomiting, staggering walk, muscle weakness, seizures, or can even result in coma.

SERVPRO of Western Essex County is are aware of the guidelines involving lead paint and will take the necessary precautions according to current laws. SERVPRO of Western Essex County professionals have been trained and certified to follow lead-safe work practices while performing renovation and repair projects in your area. Contact us at (732) 994-1640 if you have a service need.

Source: www.epa.org , www.medlineplus.gov