How To Stock Up for Severe Weather
- In this video, This Old House host Kevin O'Connor and Jim Cantore of The Weather Channel discuss how to prepare for the next big storm.
1. Keep a water supply of one gallon per day per person for three days.
2. Have a three-day supply of canned goods, and don't forget to pack a can opener.
3. Pack several fresh batteries, flashlights, and lanterns.
4. Get a hand-crank flashlight that can also recharge cell phones.
5. Place important documents and phone numbers in a waterproof case.
6. Choose a meeting place in case family members get separated.
7. Portable gas-powered generators must be placed outdoors; never run one in an enclosed space. Be sure to have gasoline on hand.
8. Use a chain and padlock to secure the generator to a tree or other unmovable object.