If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (973) 994-1640

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

SERVPRO Cares About Your Safety - Carbon Monoxide

2/15/2022 (Permalink)

carbon monoxide alarm We are available for cleanup and restoration services 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Your safety is always top of mind with SERVPRO of Western Essex County.

Winter months present a particular concern with accidental carbon monoxide poisoning.  Every year, hundreds of people in the US die from accidental CO poisoning, and 50,000 visit the emergency room.

Carbon Monoxide is an odorless and invisible fume generated by furnaces, kerosene heaters, portable generators, and similar fuel-burning appliances.  Carbon Monoxide can build up in enclosed spaces and you can be poisoned and die from breathing these fumes.

Common symptoms of Carbon Monoxide poisoning include headaches, nausea, vomiting, chest pain, and confusion.  Most people are poisoned while they sleep.

Here are some steps you can take to reduce the risk and prevent CO poisoning:

  • Make sure you install a CO detector in different parts of the home and frequently check that the batteries are working.
  • Never operate your car in a closed garage.
  • Keep vents and flues clean of debris and blockages.
  • Make sure your home heating system is inspected annually.
  • Never operate a generator or other gasoline-powered equipment within 20 feet of an open window or door and never inside the home.

Remember, CO poisoning is preventable.  If you suspect CO poisoning, do not wait, call 911.

Disaster can strike when you least expect it, be prepared and have a plan in place. If the worst should happen, know that SERVPRO® of Western Essex County is here to help make it “Like it never even happened.”

Other News

View Recent Posts