Common House Fire Hazards you may not be Aware of
Many people do not realize it but there are numerous bad habits we tend to ignore that may spark a fire in our homes. Consider the following hazards:
- Dirty rags- Sure, we’re inclined to pile up rags in a corner, but be aware! Oil soaked rags thrown and left unattended can potentially oxidized, spontaneously combusting, causing a house fire. Let rags dry flat outside or if disposing, use a metal can filled with water and a tight lid.
- Improper use of electric blankets- Yes, even a cozy blanket can go wrong. Never let your pet to snuggle on top, and make sure not to pile extra covers over the electric blanket. Excessive heat build-up can trigger a fire. To stay on the side, keep your blanket on the lowest setting and don’t forget to turn it off when not in use.
- Home Appliances Recalls- A significant amount of home appliances caused house fires in the past decade, some being from defective appliances. To ensure that you are on top of your home appliances, register your appliances with the manufacturers or recalls.gov to see if any of your models are on the list.
- Dryer Lint- Aside from cleaning your lint screen for more drying efficiency, did you know that lint can become flammable? Be very consistent with cleaning out lint from your dryer vent and exhaust duct.
- Excess amount of extension cords- Connecting a large amount of cords for an extensive amount of time can cause a short circuit and ignite a fire. Extension cords are not permanent solutions for a lack of electrical outlets.
- Oven Range hoods- While stoves can be a very common source for kitchen fires, range hoods present potential fire hazards as well. Grease builds up inside the vent hood filter and can potentially drip onto the stove, igniting a probable fire.